Varicose veins are defined as dilated, tortuous, and elongated superficial veins of the limbs. In most of the classes, the common statement made is varicosity is the penalty for verticality against gravity.
This is said in light of the fact that the blood needs to spill out of the lower appendages into the heart against gravity due to the upstanding stance of individuals.
In a few cases, varicose veins do not produce any symptoms while in many cases varicose veins produce many symptoms which cause the uncomfortable zone to the sufferer.
Causes for varicose veins
Primary varicose veins and Secondary varicose veins these are two parts of varicose veins.
In primary varicose veins, it occurs as a result of congenital weakness in the vessel wall and it can also be due to muscular weakness or due to congenital absence of valves in the veins.
Primary varicosity can be familial. These factors, in addition to prolonged standing (agriculture, hotel workers), helps in the development of the varicose veins.
In secondary varicose veins, it has seen that women are more prone to varicose veins because:-
- Pregnancy and pelvic tumors cause proximal obstruction to the blood flow.
- Pills (oral contraceptive pills) alter the viscosity of the blood.
- Due to increased progesterone which dilates the vessel wall
Other causes are congenital arteriovenous fistula and deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
Symptoms of varicose veins
- The majority of the patients come with dilated veins in the leg. They are minimal to start with and at the end of the day, they are sufficiently large because of the venous engorgement.
- Dragging pain in the leg or dull ache is due to heaviness.
- Night cramps occur due to change in the diameter of the veins.
- You will feel Aching pain at night on taking rest or elevation of limbs.
- Sudden pain in the calf region with fever and edema of the ankle region which suggests DVT.
- Patients can present with ulceration, eczema, dermatitis, and bleeding.
- Symptoms of itching and skin thickening.
Complications of varicose veins
- Eczema and dermatitis
- Thickening of subcutaneous tissue, indurated feel like wood
- Inflammation of superficial veins
- Venous ulcers
How Leech therapy Helps in varicose veins
Leech therapy is used for treatment since ancient times. Hirudo medicinalis means medicinal leech is mentioned in the ancient Sanskrit medical treatise known as Sushruta Samhita.
Need for leech therapy for varicose veins
Leech therapy is the natural healing method for curing varicose veins. This natural healing method cures the problem before it gets into a worse condition. Leech therapy treatment is a proven method for varicose veins. In many medical institutions and considered as an ayurvedic method of treatment.
Today many people try to avoid surgeries. For which they are adopting this painless method of treating the varicose veins. This leech therapy is safe and is useful for:-
- Restore normal blood circulation
- Remove congested blood from the body
- Allows the tissue for the normal circulation
Another most significant capacity for utilizing leech treatment is that in the wake of utilizing this treatment the veins in the legs become ordinary and can play out their capacity that is shipping the deoxygenated blood to the heart against the gravity.
Procedure to Perform Leech Therapy
Leech therapy has been used for many years and it is the painless procedure for the treatment of varicose veins. When leech is attached to the skin for the therapy, its bite is painless. The leech is attached to the skin for at least 20 min to 40 minutes at the targeted area. After attachment, they start sucking the blood and at the same time, they release the protein and peptide which makes the blood thin and prevents clotting. They break the blood clot due to which the varicose veins occur and increase the blood circulation.
After sucking the blood leeches shapes increases in size which confirms the sucking of the blood clot. After leech therapy leeches are removed from the skin using salt. Gauze used to soak extra blood after therapy.
Side Effects and Benefits of Leech Therapy
Every method of treatment has its benefits and side effects for which we have to keep the knowledge of both. So here are the benefits and side effects of leech therapy for varicose veins.
Benefits of leech therapy for varicose veins
- Leech therapy decreases the viscosity of the blood and makes the consistency thinner for the better flow of blood in the body.
- This therapy removes the formation of the clot.
- Leech contains the component called hirudin which acts as an anticoagulant.
- Leech also contains another component called calin which inhibits blood coagulation.
- This therapy is painless to cure varicose veins. Even though leech therapy can be performed at home.
Side effects of leech therapy for varicose veins
- After leech bites, bleeding can be seen in different parts of the body.
- Morbidity associated with leech bite is seen in case of prolonged serious bleeding and due to skin infections.
- After leech therapy patient may present with anemia after leech infestation
- Erysipelas and skin abscess are seen with the presence of bacteria Mycobacterium marinum is seen in the patient with leech bite.
- Skin wounds caused due to leech bite heal with scar formation.
- Aeromonas hydrophilia bacteria live with leeches symbiotically which can cause infection after leech bite.
- Rarely leech bite may cause death due to hemorrhage.
If the bleeding from leech bite is prolonged than it should be taken seriously. Some patient even requires a blood transfusion due to the loss of a large amount of blood from the body.
Varicose veins are a condition that is very painful. This condition when not treated at an earlier stage can even lead to the amputation (removal or cutting) of the leg so as to prevent the further spread of the disease. In the modern system of medicine, the only way for treating the varicose veins are surgical.
They gave the painkillers to decrease the pain but the diseases remain at that place only. As time passes the condition gets worsen and surgical removal is the only way for treatment.
However, on the off chance that it treated before with the regular method for treating the strategy that is siphon treatment technique, at that point the coagulation which is delivered in the beginning be evacuated by this effortless strategy for treatment and patient blood flow shows signs of improvement after it.
Though every method has its benefits and side effects if you want to cure the varicose vein painlessly than adopt this leech therapy method.
You may also like to read.